Journal Juice 4 | Noise

Journal Juice

I remain in awe of those – particularly writers, but any creative folk – who can effectively eliminate the Noise with even just a modicum of success. External. And Internal. Noise is generally that thing that imposes itself within the path of the Muse.

External Noise is, at least for me, all that goes on around me during creative peak times. Not all of that Noise is bad or even necessarily a hindrance. After all, a great deal of it will in turn inform and service the art of which I am compelled to create. However, going with the general law of averages, to what average does that truly amount? A mere 10% of useful Noise? So what to do with the remaining 90%? That surplus is the struggle. Because we are not manufactured with natural, automatic smart-filters. We must manually, and quite deliberately, apply our filters. The rub, or should I say the fear, is that while filtering we might somehow inadvertently block some of which should be included in the better percentage. Thus, there is temptation to be a little lenient where that’s concerned, when really we should probably take a more rigid hard line and be done with it. The successful ones do.

And what of Internal Noise? Oh, that can be equally nasty stuff if left unchecked by a hard and fast filter. Voices from within delivering Noise is not a situation to be trifled with in the absence of due diligence. Sure, they present themselves as friendly entities, but they can be sinister, turning your Muse against you, or worse, you against your Muse. When that occurs your intentions can be compromised, your progress minimized and your confidence severely marginalized. The wrong internal voice could make you not unlike the proverbial dog chasing its tail, or the coiled serpent devouring itself from its tail-end.

So again, I am in awe of those with filters firmly in place keeping the optimal amount of Noise at bay. I wish to become more like those folks.


Watched: Prometheus deleted scenes

Listened: Modest Mouse, Outkast, God Forbid

2 thoughts on “Journal Juice 4 | Noise

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s