- Got a little bit pathetic about things and wrote and posted The Evening Must 5 | Cause for Alarm?
Saturday – FCBD & Mother’s Day Eve
- Free Comic Book Day 2016 at my local comic shop. For myself I grabbed FCBD editions of LOVE AND ROCKETS (Fantagraphics), CIVIL WAR II #0 (Marvel) and Valiant’s 2016 edition.
- Saw Marvel’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR alone early enough that the theater was only 6% full when I bought my ticket and it hardly increased beyond that by my estimation. Maybe 20 people, tops. At any rate, it is the best damn superhero movie yet. Even though it’s a solo character’s movie, it’s essentially a team movie given all the characters included and teaming up, and since I always preferred team book in my superhero comics, I immensely enjoy team movies like this one. It delivers on so many levels. The Russo brothers really know how to craft these movies into great cinema. Bravo!
- Lunch at Culver’s. I’ve done a shit job at eating healthy this past week. But I’ve certainly earned a passing grade for the past 6 weeks I’ve been at this better eating/better me initiative.
- Mother’s Day eve dinner with Mom. Kept it simple at Texas Roadhouse with steaks, baked potatoes and salads.
Sunday – Mother’s Day
- Breakfast, er, brunch at Bob Evans with the wife and two of the kids. I had the Brioche French Toast, a decision influenced by my youngest child’s choice. I might be biased, but I prefer my own unique style of French Toast, which in my mind is World Famous..
- Later, family dinner at Aurelio’s that just recently opened up down the street a few blocks. Had an Italian sandwich that was rather underwhelming. I swear Penn Station has THE established standard for a proper grinder (namely the Dagwood). Most every other sub I have that isn’t made by Penn Station usually pales in comparison.
- Watched a backlogged episode of this season’s AGENTS OF SHIELD before nodding off for a brief nap. Later, watched FEAR THE WALKING DEAD. That show seems to’ve found its stride in its sophomore season, I’m happy to say. After watching TALKING DEAD afterward I decided I’d better save GAME OF THRONES for Monday night.
- Prior to bed I came up with a new name to brand this blog – something that played off my name just like Ruckerpedia did (which was the former name before I decided to affix it more appropriately to a different website that will launch soon). Brandon Rucker Dot Com as a “brand” just wasn’t doing it for me. So, yeah, another made-up word is in order.
- RUCKOGNITION. Ruck, a short nickname some folks have called me, and the word cognition. Immediately I knew I was on to something. And I have Warren Ellis to thank for it as I was reading his latest newsletter late Sunday night into the AM hours where I saw he mentioned reading a novel by Steve Shaviro called DISCOGNITION. The timing of this could not be more perfect, because I was brainstorming a new name just prior to opening up that email. It also kind of plays on the word recognition too. A double win, I suppose.
- Of course with a new name branding for the site comes a new layout/template/theme.